It was hard to get started on the magazine prototype for Shindig, but I had a lot of fun with it. Looking at my designs, I already see things that I would change, but I think I'm off to a pretty good start. It was challenging to make sure the personality was carried throughout. I’m not sure if the feature and department spreads work together. I think the feature is too structured, which is the kind of design my group wants to stay away from. I might need to re-work the feature to make it look less modern. It was tough choosing photos too because there are so many options. I’m sure I’ll have a better idea what I want to use after my design is critiqued. Here is my cover, color palette, feature spread and department spread.
I was so excited to learn about Mag+. It’s awesome that you can work from InDesign to create an iPad App. I didn’t realize how different the app design is compared to the print form. I imagine it’s a meticulous and time-consuming process to put each element in the appropriate place. Being able to export the design to Mag+ and review it on the iPad plug in is a convenient tool. I’m looking forward to working with the program. It’s neat we have the opportunity to become iPad savvy and create apps.
You Can’t Miss This
On designverb this week, there is a post about fingerprint trails showing what you were last doing on your iPad or touch phone. I think it's pretty amusing. Here are the photos. Take a look at the post if they are hard to see.
I found logo inspirations, articles and tutorials when browsing AntsMagazine. They might come in handy when we’re working on our 20/10 projects. This logo is one of my favorites. I like how a chef's kitchen utensils are incorporated in each piece of the balloon.