BG

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week Six

Critique: Prototype2
This week we presented our magazine prototypes to the publishers on our team. For the second draft, my biggest focus was re-working my logo and sell lines. I think it looks cleaner and more professional. I added the dots to the i's and pulled one to use at the end of the tagline. I also cleaned up my feature spread. I reduced the number of photos and created a more appealing title. The personality I want to portray is geared toward young adults who want to entertain. It reveals that you don’t need to have a fancy, high-class party; a party can be casual and can even take place on the back porch. The personality is approachable and “doable” as well. I changed my color palette, which is not as limited.
 



Response: “The September Issue”
I saw “The September Issue” for the first time today, and I really liked it. It was neat to get a look inside Vogue and get a sense of what a typical day is like at the magazine. Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief, has such a huge impact on the fashion world. I didn’t know that she was the first to put celebrities on the cover or bring back fur in the ‘90s.
I enjoyed Grace Coddington, the creative director. She is a funny woman and amazing at what she does. The way she visualizes photos and designs is something that not many could do. She has many roles, such as styling and leading shoots, and each requires a lot of work. I loved the ‘20s feature that she directed. It’s a great idea that was executed really well. Even the lighting/tone of the photos matched the era. It’s beautiful. I couldn’t imagine putting all of the effort into that like she did and then getting parts pulled.
The documentary made me realize even more how intense the fashion world is. Pair it with a magazine, and there is a meticulous process with many steps that is involved. I think it’s incredible, but I could not work in that type of environment. I’m interested in fashion, but I do not live every second for it. I think that is what you have to do in order to survive in that particular industry.

You Can’t Miss This
On designverb this week, there is a post about photographer Natsumi Hayashi. She created a diary of self-portraits, in which she captured herself “floating” in the air throughout places in Tokyo. It’s really neat and shows a lot of creativity.
I came across Bangkok University Creative Center on Supermachine Studio’s BlogIt’s a beautiful center that includes a workshop, library, exhibition area, viewing room and an office. The design team did an amazing job. I haven’t seen interior design quite like it.
      

1 comment:

  1. I really like your new color palette. I think you did an excellent job incorporating the class's critique, but you did it in a way that was in keeping with your vision for Shindig.

    Your revised feature spread incorporates these new colors really elegantly. It feels brighter and more fun without getting drawing attention to itself. Great work!

    ReplyDelete