BG

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hectic

Critique: Travel Issue
This has been a pretty hectic week. Most of my time has gone toward designing for Vox's Travel Issue. It’s been quite the project. I knew from the beginning it would be a lot of work, but once we got started I realized it was even more time consuming than expected. We created templates for the department pages with our elements and type choices, and designed the TOC, calendar, film fare and two features. Tanya and I designed the six-page Day Trippers feature. It provides accounts of four Missouri trips for those interested in history, art, outdoors and food. The two of us served as art directors on Sunday as well, which was a neat experience. I think everything came together well, and I’m excited to finally see it in print on Thursday! Here is one of the most recent drafts of the opening feature spread.

Response: Portfolio
We’ve been doing portfolio critiques in class, and my work was critiqued yesterday. I brought recent designs from Vox, last semester’s magazine class and my summer internship at Cerner. It will be interesting to read everyone’s comments and suggestions. I know I’ll receive great advice, and it will help me decide what pieces I should keep as is, revise or get rid of when putting together my portfolio.

You Can’t Miss This:
On designverb this week, there is a "Help Japan" poster that James White made. All profits will be donated to help relief efforts in Japan. The poster is already sold old, which is awesome. This is a great way to take design and use it to help those in need. I think it has an impact with the cracks through the circle that represents the tsunami and only two words below it.
A lot of you have probably heard of Etsy. If not, it’s a site where you can buy and sell all sorts of things that are handmade, vintage, etc. There are categories such as accessories, art, clothing, furniture, jewelry and much more. I love looking through the paper goods because I plan to design invitations and cards for weddings and kids' birthday parties one day soon. This week I found neat bridal shower invitations and save the dates from a seller called Tints and Prints. Check out more of her designs!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the Travel Issue to come out tomorrow. All of you have worked so hard on designing it that I'm sure it will be nice to see the final product. On another note, I like the invites and save the dates you found from etsy. I hope they bring you inspiration when you design more wedding and birthday cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, great job with the travel issue. I know the entire process/experience was frustrating for everyone involved at some point, and I can't imagine having the responsibility of essentially reformatting VOX in its entirety. Kudos for committing so much time to make sure the final product looked great (which it DID!)

    Secondly, that poster advertising aid to Japan is absolutely exquisite. Thanks so much for sharing it. Finally, thanks for thinking to share Etsy with your readers. I always assume everybody in the art scene knows all about it, but for some reason it's a lot more underground then I would assume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back, putting together the travel issue was extremely selfish, but I am so happy with the way it turned out. My favorite part was working in a group and getting to know other designers better. It was a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete